Friday, January 25, 2013

L'Étranger

     I'll just be honest, the more that I read, the more I dislike my big question. Most of the literature we pick up doesn't  seem to posses heroes... heroic figures are few and far between. Even Katniss, in our beloved Hunger Games series isn't that heroic. But I think that getting hung up on finding specific heroes in books or movies or society in general is a mistake easily made.
     My point; it's very difficult to be a hero, to have every fiber of your being devoted to a certain cause so much so that your life is lain on the line daily. As a whole person, Meursault is not a hero. But I do think he has a redeeming, heroic attribute: his honesty.
     How many people do you know who would tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth every day of his or her life? I don't know any. The most incredible thing about Meursault's honesty is that he remains honest even when the lie tastes sweeter.
      I probably did love Maman, he says, but that didn't mean anything. At one time or another all normal people have wished their loved ones were dead. (Camus, 65). When dealing with death people often feel obligated to lie about their feelings, or to lie about how they saw the person when they were living. No one in their right mind would stand up at a funeral and say, "well, she was alright, but she had quite the temper." or "I think he was a good person, but I don't really miss him now that he's gone. I'm hungry, let's eat." Meursault's honesty pierces the heart and almost offends the reader. Though he continues by saying; what I can say for certain is that I would rather Maman hadn't died (65), his lawyer is not satisfied. His brutal honesty is offensive. It's sharp and bold and uncommon, but the reader expects something to escape Meursault's lips; a bit of remorse, an ounce of sorrow at her passing, but still they get nothing. And I think that's fine. Perhaps true heroes say what must be said, what should not be sugar-coated, and what hurts because people choose not to recognize truth unless it is thrust upon them.
     After Meursault's trial and conviction he goes on to talk about death and how it looms above all of us. It's interesting that he's bold enough to talk about death. Death is a scary thing, but like they say, "there are two promises in life, death, and taxes". It's true, but it's a truth that is easily ignored or swept under a rug until, as said before, it is thrust upon us. Meursault says, Since we're all going to die, it's obvious that when and how doesn't matter (Camus 114).
     It can be hard to confront truths. Truths about ourselves and our flaws, truths about others we wish not to see, and truths about the world we living in, and life in general. Meursault, though condemned, turns out to be a heroic character in the sense that he has the guts to say what needs to be said. He is honest, and remains true through circumstances stacked up against him where the lie is better than the truth.
     I suppose that even leaves me with the question: why is it so difficult to be honest and maintain heroic qualities in and of ourselves? Why do so few accomplish this on a greater level?


1 comment:

  1. Great entry!!

    I love this :

    My point; it's very difficult to be a hero, to have every fiber of your being devoted to a certain cause so much so that your life is lain on the line daily

    ReplyDelete